This is my first spring in Vermont. The seasons change a little later here than any other place I've spent spring. Its mid-May now, and we are due for a good frost tonight. This happens. In mid-April, the peepers came out, singing their song. Though I didn't know it until later, Dad says they were premature this year. We had an unusual warm spell at that time. The peepers' internal clocks got distracted, causing them to emerge early. I was on the deck playing guitar, which overlooks our small pond, when the first peeper sang this year. I heard the first peep of 2009 on this property. To me, it was the first peep anywhere for 2009. Then a beautiful din of peeps started, a lovely cacophony of love songs. I wanted to sing with them! So, I sang about them. I sang these words:
The peepers are out
They're singing their song
They're singing their song
Its a spring, spring song
Its a spring, spring song
So now, nothing, nothing, can go wrong
So now, nothing, nothing, will go wrong
The peepers are out
Its almost a shout
They're singing so loud
Miles from any town
So now, nothing, nothing, can go wrong
So now, nothing, nothing, will go wrong
The peepers are out
The sun rays are out
There's nary a cloud
Miles from any town
Mother Nature, nature, is always right
Mother Nature, nature, feels so alright
The peepers are out
The peepers are out
They're singing their song
They're singing their song
Its a spring, spring song
Its a spring, spring song
Mother Nature, nature, is always right
Mother Nature, nature, feels so alright
And it feels so alright

0 comments:
Post a Comment